No products in the basket.
Printing is integral part of our business and is still a huge industry around the world and shows no signs of being replaced any time soon. We receive lots of publications, industry magazines and visit many printing related websites on a regular basis. It’s a fascinating industry to work in, with plenty of new developments and innovative and creative ideas. With this in mind here’s our top 10 printing industry related facts:
- The UK is the world’s fifth largest producer of printed products
- 942 million inkjet cartridges were sold worldwide in 2012, containing enough ink to fill 4.5 Olympic sized swimming pools
- Black printer ink is one of the most expensive liquids or commodities on the planet, it costs over $2,700 per gallon! This is massively more expensive than oil, which currently costs only around $2.26 per gallon!
- In 2005, more than 45 trillion pages were printed globally
- Johann Gutenburg developed European printing technology in 1440, although printing is considered to be one of the four greatest Chinese inventions with evidence of the first printing from 684-705 AD
- The UK imports 10 million laser toner cartridges and 30 million inkjet cartridges each year
- William Caxton is thought to be the first English person to introduce a printing press into the country
- The laser printer was invented by Xerox in 1969 and was built from a modified photocopier
- The world’s smallest printed book measures only 0.74 x 0.75 mm (0.0291 x 0.0295 in)!
- The printing industry employs over 140,000 people in the UK